[pct-l] Poison Oak

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Feb 18 17:46:25 CST 2010

Patti's right, poison oak isn't a big worry on the PCT. Most of it is
completely avoidable. And a huge amount of what people think is
poison oak is just squaw bush, which looks very similar.

I have some pictures of poison oak in case you want to try and
memorize what it looks like:
http://www.santabarbarahikes.com/gorp/poisonoak/

I really should take pictures of squaw bush, but I found a picture
online. Of the 3 leaves in the picture, squaw bush is on the left.
The main way to tell the difference between it and poison oak is the
top leaflet isn't on a stem like poison oak.
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0802.htm#taxonomy

I've also noticed that squaw bush leaves are a little smaller usually
and the size and shape of the lobes is more consistent than poison
oak. Poison oak is an inconsistent shape-shifter, tiny stiff leaves
on this plant, big soft ones on that plant, a vine over here, a shrub
over there, in the sun on that mountain, in the shade in that canyon,
maroon when it's new, green when it's spring, red in late summer and
fall, no leaves in winter but it'll still get you.

After a while, you can actually get really good at identifying poison
oak on the trail. But in case you aren't good at it, it's best to
avoid brushing against anything whenever you drop into the elevations
that support oak trees. The main places I saw poison oak were near
the first of the Feather Rivers, on the drop into Belden, and a
little bit in Section O. I can't remember if there was any on the
descent into Sierra City, but there might have been. Just go on the
alert when you see oaks.

If you do brush against it, wash the area immediately with water.
That'll help better than doing nothing or waiting a while.

If you do get it, remember: It's just a rash. It's nothing to really
worry that much about. I've gotten poison oak a million times,
sometimes bad enough for steroids to be prescribed. It's really not
much more than a nuisance.