[pct-l] Hand Cycling Along the PCT

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Thu Feb 18 12:33:35 CST 2010

I have walked most of Oregon and it is considerably flatter than California. Nevertheless there are stream crossings and some uneven places. When I walked, I was not looking for accessibility, but my son uses a wheelchair and I tend to notice things. My recollection is that the stretch along Crater Lake might be doable, possibly with some excursions onto the highway that is very close to the trail if there are problem areas. Traffic and safety might be a concern. There are very pretty views of Crater Lake. Also, I don't remember any problems on the stretch from Crater Lake to the park northern boundary. I would look at Oregon guidebooks, maps and elevation profiles and avoid stream crossings and lava beds. After picking some possibilities call the local ranger station and try to talk to someone who is knowledgeable. (Not all office personnel get out on the trails.)

Pieces