[pct-l] Feet Swelling

Joan Henriksen joan.henriksen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:49:42 CST 2010

Thanks all for the good information.

Linsey wrote: "Last year, if my pre-hike purchased shoes seemed too big I
had great success adding an extra insole or volume adjuster."

I thought about this option. I just feel dubious about packing my shoes with
all kinds of padding.  For good or bad reading  "Born To Run" reinforced my
belief that heavy duty insoles are not necessary for me.  I will probably
replace the factory insole with Superfeet before my hike. I like how they
stabilize my feet in a very subtle way.

I have been experimenting with lacing my new shoes and I can create a lot of
room if needed.  My plan is to hike in liner socks and elevate and cool my
feet frequently.  As I have posted previously, I am not looking to make big
miles the first week so maybe this will decrease swelling.  Worst case
scenario, I'll  perform a little shoe surgery.  I bought them 1/2 price so
if they have to die an early death I won't be too concerned.  I will
definitely re-post on this issue from the trail if I am forced to eat my
words!