[pct-l] caching

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 11:27:51 CST 2010

> I've always used 5 gallon pickle buckets with secure lids (duct taped with
> cayenne pepper to keep rodents out); they're easy to bury in the desert, but
> I don't know if that's a possibility on the PCT.

I'm not going to debate the legality. It is probably illegal in most places,
but...

Although cayenne may be a deterrent to some animals, the smell can attract
others.
Best to double bag the food and put that bag and a mothball or two in the
pickle barrel.
I know of no animal that is attracted to the smell of mothballs.

They use this method to keep bears and other critters out of food bags in
Grizzly country.

--
If you look good and dress well, you don't need a purpose in life.
               -- Robert Pante, fashion consultant