[pct-l] Southbound Questions

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 15:47:12 CST 2010

As far as it being okay to cross into the U.S. via Manning park... I called
the U.S. Border patrol and had a talk with them about it.  They said, in no
uncertain terms, that doing so is NOT okay.  It constitutes "entering the
U.S. without passing through customs"... and something about the PCT not
being an approved Port of Entry.  But who knows, they may have relaxed their
policy since then.  I'd give the U.S. Border Patrol a call and ask them...
since they'll be the ones that you'll have to deal with.

If you have no moral qualms with it, it is almost impossible to get caught
"sneaking" in via the PCT.  So long as you don't run into any law
enforcement while hiking the PCT (ie: you don't break any laws or attract
attention to yourself) you'll probably not get caught.  But man, it would
SUCK to walk 2,600 miles only to get busted by the U.S. Border Patrol just
miles from the Mexican Border (southbounders tend to get more Border Patrol
attention near Mexico than do Northbounders).

As far as caching food, I used a big, sealed Tupperware container.  I buried
it about a foot and a half under the ground, then dosed the surface with
bear mace.  No critters got to it.  It was in good condition when I got
there.  Then I cut and tore the thing apart and threw it into the trashcan.

Many northbounders offered to cache water for me in the desert.  I suspect
many trail angels would be pleased to help, and probably do help
southbounders every year.  It can never hurt to ask.

Seriously though, it's not any smaller of a feat - nor would you have any
less of an adventure - if you started at Hart's Pass and hiked to Mexico.
50 miles won't take anything away from the remaining 2,600.  Just my 2
cents.

Good luck!

--
Austin Williams
PlanYourHike.com

"The mountains are calling and I must go."   -John Muir