[pct-l] Into the Wild

Don Billings dbillings803 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 21:37:35 CST 2010

Yes, I recall that the cable was noted as being roughly a mile down river (it has since been dismantled per the documentary that I watched).

But, I wasn't sure if it was actually listed on any maps. And, in all fairness, we all know that maps differ in detail. I don't even recall if he had
a map. Or, if he did, was it a detailed map and one that would include such a crossing.

And to demonstrate how poorly the investigation and reporting was on that incident, the remains were taken by authorities
for autopsy. That was standard. BUT... the documentary pointed out that the investigating officers totally botched their
investigation. They didn't even see the boy's backpack there in the bus. It was found after the fact by a man interviewed in the
documentary who still has it. The man owns a cabin in the region and went to look at the bus after he heard the news. And that man, in the film, pulled out the victim's identification, $300 cash, and other items pertaining to the boy's identity including his drivers license from Nevada.

So, I'm curious where the information came from that said the boy didn't have any map? If they didn't even see his backpack, how would
anyone know if he had a map?

If you get a chance to see the documentary, google it. I can't recall the name of it but it was produced not too long ago. Maybe a year ago. It was
excellent. And, as I said, in the end you are shown Chris's actual backpack. Apparently, the family never contacted him to collect it.

As for being stupid, well. We all make stupid mistakes in life. Especially when we are in our early 20's. I don't fault him for that failure.