[pct-l] Southbound Questions

Dan Zan dan2001 at live.ca
Wed Feb 10 19:02:32 CST 2010

My friend and I will be southbound this year. My last exam is on June 29th and we will be leaving from Winnipeg soon after. I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can help me with.

1. Obviously the water levels at all sources will be different than a NOBO hike, but will the guide books have any accuracy? Is there a way to find this information elsewhere?

2. I know many people carry deterrent in grizzly country, has anyone ever seen one in the northern reaches of the trail. Does anyone carry bear deterrent?

3. Since we are from Canada, sneaking into America is not an option for us (or is it?), since we will have to go back. From what I have read, we will need to start from Hart’s Pass. Saying I hiked 90 miles from the Canadian border to Mexico is not something I want to do, so the only option I can think of is hiking to Manning and back. Are there other options? If not, how does one get to Hart's Pass?

4. With the possibility of a low Washington snowpack, and us leaving in early July, should we still take our ice axes? If so, when could we specifically expect to not need them anymore?  (consider that we have no altitude experience whatsoever (from the prairies) but will be practicing with the axes)

5. I'm assuming there are going to be a lot more southbounders this year than other years if the weather pattern continues. If you're out there, what are your plans?

Dan