[pct-l] Buying Freeze Dried Food in Bulk

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 10 18:58:18 CST 2010

Another great source for bulk freeze-dried foods is Emergency Essentials (beprepared.com).  Among other things, they sell #10 cans of freeze-dried veggies, meats, fruits, and cheeses.  You can mix your own meals with cous-cous, rice, etc. ahead of time, or add to ramen noodles or instant mashed potatoes on the trail to give variety and nutrition.  All their foods reconstitute quickly, taste much better than dehydrated foods, and can be eaten along the trail as a snack.  Pricey, but great quality and taste and very light-weight.  I tried Nitro.com 4 years ago for the AT, but their selection and quality didn't seem as good as EE.  It seems to be primarily an LDS-oriented company, so if you're LDS, you might get a discount.  I'm not, so I didn't ask.

Mango