[pct-l] Aqua Mira water purifier tablets

Thomas Jamrog balrog at midcoast.com
Sun Feb 7 10:32:18 CST 2010

I had and will continue to use it.  I have used my Steripen Adventurer model for my whole 2007 AT thru-hike and for plenty of outdoor action since then.  I love it.  You are drinking a quart of water in 90 seconds.   I encountered a problem with it this fall, after 2 and 1/2 years of heavy use,  sent if back to Steripen and they immediately replaced it, no questions asked. While the 2 CR123 batteries are expensive ($10)  if you buy them in a twin pack at the drug store or wherever, I was able to buy a couple cases of 12 for $20 each  at LLBean here in Maine.  I usually went 2 and one-half to three weeks of daily use before I had to replace them.  I even serviced other hikers who would occasionally hit on me to zap their water when they were impatient waiting for their Aqua Mira treatments to quick in.   Plus the weight is 3.6 ounces.  You must be using the  original 11 ounce model which takes 4 double AA's and is a bigger unit .
Uncle Tom

  "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us."  Alexander Graham Bell