[pct-l] Starting Slow

Joan Henriksen joan.henriksen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 20:00:48 CST 2010

Paul in response to your post, I am not advocating against pre-hike
conditioning.  I think you are right to encourage everyone to get off their
butts.   I am active now and I going to backpack for a few weeks on the AT
in March as a shakedown. However, I don't think that starting slow puts one
in danger of a late finish.  My plan is to divide my hike into 3 stages and
have seperate mileage goals for each.  Hopefully my math is right so I don't
look silly :)

1)April 25th Campo
   June 15th Kennedy Meadows

13.5 miles per day average

2)June15th Kennedy Meadows
   July 19th Belden

17 miles per day average

3)July 19th Belden
   September 20th  Manning Park

22 miles per day average

This does not factor in zero days. But I think that it is actually a
conservative estimation. I really don't like zeros and generally employed
neros on the AT to save money.  After Ned's snow clinic I may decide that I
can hit the Sierras earlier and bump up my mileage in the beginning.  That
would shave some days off the schedule.  I can do 20s on the AT so I am
planning on 25s in Oregon and Washington.  So I should gain a few days there
as well   Then if I take in take into account some unknown crisis like a
week long case of giardia that still leaves me around September 20th.

Whoah this is quite the post  Thanks for bearing with me!