[pct-l] Fit for a thru-hike?

Ron Moak ronmoak at sixmoondesigns.com
Thu Feb 4 16:08:12 CST 2010

Paul writes >> My primary goal is to increase the success rate of
thru-hikers completing the entire PCT.  Because of this I can not endorse
starting the PCT out of shape.

I have fallen victim to my own laziness and I admitted this to the list to
encourage myself and others to get in shape for this PCT thru-hike.  This
trail is not a joke, it will eliminate about 60% of the thru-hikers if they
follow the same trend they did last year.  I don't want that to happen.  I
want every thru-hiker to finish. <<

Paul, pardon my skepticism, but why is it your goal for everyone to
successfully complete a thru-hike. Shouldn't it be the hikers responsibility
to determine what is or isn't in their own best interest. This may or may
not include finishing the trail.

I personally think one walks a dangerous path to simply include or exclude
important information solely on the basis of how it might affect ones
potential to finish a thru-hike. Doesn't your method attempt cram everyone
into the same small mold? Get in shape, start with the crowd, hike with the
crowd, do 20 plus mile days, and on and on. If that's your cup of tea, fine.
If not, there are many paths to The Promise Land. Assuming that completing a
thru-hike is indeed "The Promise Land".

We all come to the trail with our own baggage of thoughts, fears and life
practices that we've accumulated over our lifetimes. What makes you think
your way of approaching a hike is best for everyone? Can be assured you're
even helping them on the life path they're traveling? What happens if your
emphatic advice is counterproductive and makes their hike more miserable?

I've personally been a part of the long distance hiking community for over a
decade. I've worked on numerous websites, designed lots of gear, given talks
and demos all to help hikers make their backcountry experiences more
enjoyable. But never do I tell people that my suggestions are the only way
or even necessarily the best way.

The path of understanding why we hike is lonely, painful, expensive and
long. But it's a path we alone must travel.

Providing a place where people can learn more about the trail is fine. But
assuming your goals should somehow be theirs does no one any good in the
end.

Fallingwater