[pct-l] Fit for a thru-hike?

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 4 14:32:19 CST 2010

Ned,

My research shows that most hikers start the PCT at the Kick Off or the last weekend of April.  I don't see this changing in 2010.  Most people want to travel in a herd, it is typical animal and human behavior.  Because of this most people will probably start close to the last week of April.  This limits the time window to about 5 months for the majority (more like 90+%) of thru-hikers (see link below for statistical data).

My primary goal is to increase the success rate of thru-hikers completing the entire PCT.  Because of this I can not endorse starting the PCT out of shape.

I have fallen victim to my own laziness and I admittied this to the list to encourage myself and others to get in shape for this PCT thru-hike.  This trail is not a joke, it will eliminate about 60% of the thru-hikers if they follow the same trend they did last year.  I don't want that to happen.  I want every thru-hiker to finish.

Getting into shape before your hike is the right thing to do. Not only for the hike but for your health.  Everyone knows this, but again here comes the excuses....

Paul

2009 PCT Migration Pattern

http://hikethru.com/about-the-pct/pct-hiker-migration

2009 PCT Success Rate