[pct-l] Mountain Education Snow Class

Al Fresco frescosf at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 19:12:23 CST 2010

I just wanted to remind everyone about a great resource we have here in Northern California. Mtn Ned teaches a snow course near Lake Tahoe, which I took this past weekend. It’s aimed at PCT thru-hikers, but anyone wanting to improve their winter skills would benefit. He teaches the basics of camping in the snow, route finding in winter and self-arrest skills.

I had absolutely no experience winter camping or snowshoeing and enjoyed every minute. Anyone aspiring to hike in the Sierra's while they are still snow-covered should definately take this class!

Ned is a great teacher who loves what he does. He has extensive hiking (PCT & CDT) and ski-touring experience in the Sierras. There is no charge for the class – only donations accepted.

More info can be found here:
http://postholer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=206fa14d8c74853ea04f58a353f28527

I posted some photos from the class here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfrescosf/sets/72157623210148399/show/

Lisa