[pct-l] Crampons

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Fri Dec 31 12:45:14 CST 2010

I have used instep crampons many times in the Sierra even wearing trail runners. They have longer points than the other alternatives which I feel is more secure on hard steep ice. Maybe a downside is you are walking on your instep when crossing dry patches but the aluminum micros will grind down faster than steel crampons. Now, some others professionals I know will say if you need an ice axe you need real crampons but I don't think any thru uses 12 points.
AsABat
PCT Water Reports SoCal http://pct.4jeffrey.net
Send water updates to water at 4jeffrey.net