[pct-l] New Balance

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Dec 22 21:42:31 CST 2010

I've hiked in NB 802 - 813, or whatever they are this year.  The model #
changes but I've not noticed any other changes - just the cosmetics.
Size 14 EEEE is not found in many places...  For me the 800 series last
about 600 miles - but it's the insoles that wear out first, and the
heel.  I've put duct tape on the inside where the heel rubs up and
down.  That's taken care of that problem.  It's amazing what new insoles
can do for a well-worn pair of shoes.  Unfortunately they are the same
price as the shoes (you can almost always get the NB 800 series shoe on
sale during the winter - old year giving over to new year.)

Ray Jardine railed against running shoes with soles that extend beyond
the sole.  you are far more likely to "fall off" a half inch rock or
lose a tenuous foot placement.  The NB 800 series isn't too bad in that
regard.

Jeff Olson
Santa Rosa, CA