[pct-l] [John Muir Trail] above record level snow

Ron Dye chiefcowboy at verizon.net
Tue Dec 21 16:30:44 CST 2010

Ned's advice is right on target (as usual).  I have hiked most of my life
(and I'm older than most of you) and have some limited snow experience.
But, what I encountered in the Sierra's in early June during my 2009
thru-hike was beyond my capabilities.  When we failed to negotiate Glenn
Pass (12,100') for the second time in two days due to fresh snow, we elected
to return to Lone Pine via Kersarge Pass.  I eventually elected to return
home while the weather cleared (11 days) and jumped ahead to Tuolumne Pass
as I had already done the JMT 3 times.  What my hiking companion did, and
what I will do this year in a similar situation, was put together an
expedition type team that committed to staying together through the snow
areas.  They did so (about ten of them) and were successful.  I would NEVER
attempt to cross that areas during snow conditions with fewer than three and
that's a minimum.  Weather reports notwithstanding, nobody ever knows what
the Sierras can bring for certain.  There is certainly truth to the old
adage that there is safety in numbers - especially when accompanied by good
gear, knowledge and experience.

Thanks again, Ned.