[pct-l] Hitch-hiking

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Dec 14 18:37:28 CST 2010

Well, Iceaxe, as long as we're posting hitchhiking tips, here are the
ones that worked for me.

By the way, one of the other contributors to this list would make up
pre-printed signs to use for hitching. He figured it demonstrated
that he was not only serious, but capable of using a computer and
rich enough to have access to a printer.

I had less luck with a sign than I did with just my thumb. I would do
the following to improve my chances.
- First of all, it helps to be a woman, so I tried to be as much of
one as possible in my bedraggled state. I would make sure my long
braid was showing. I might take off my big desert shirt so my little
tank top was showing. I might take off my hat and wear only my
bandana. At one point I had some pink Crocs so I changed into them to
really drive it home - here's a pretty lady who needs a ride.
- I'd smile. I'd look right at the people. I'd laugh and wave if they
made any gestures indicating they really wished they could help but
couldn't. I figured a positive attitude would help for the next car.
- I'd invoke The Force. Sometimes I could will them to actually turn
around and come get me by simply being certain deep in my heart that
those people were My Ride.
- I would stow my weapons -- I mean trekking poles.
- I would make my pack look as small as it could.

If all else failed, I'd just set off walking. Eventually someone
would feel sorry for me.

Once I called a cab.