[pct-l] all those 'extras'

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 12:01:40 CST 2010

I second Steel-Eye's recommendation to make a gear list.

It doesn't have to be as complex as some of the examples being shared here.
I started using one about 5 years ago, and I still cannot believe I ever
backpacked without one! Like Steel-Eye, I put EVERYTHING on my list. This is
the only way I can avoid forgetting something. Before each backpacking trip,
I would make a copy of the previous trip's list and then modify as needed.

Of course this thru hike has me altering my list approach a bit this time. I
am now using a spreadsheet with extra info such as weight. ;)
It doesn't have a lot of macros, but I do sort the data in various ways.
I've found sorting by weight to be useful for finding where I can make the
biggest improvements in weight.

I also like Diane's perspective. The trail becomes your life, and you will
just end up carrying the things you need to live on the trail. I can't wait
to call the trail, "Home." As they say, home is where the heart is, right?
;)

--
~ Kevin
Soon To Be PCT Thru Hiker!