[pct-l] about potty trowels,

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Dec 14 08:45:48 CST 2010

Those orange plastic trowels are really dangerous. I had one break
and cut my hand on the soft part between thumb and forefinger. I
never used a trowel again. I can't risk tearing my hand up in the
wilderness. That's why I turned to using a rock. A flat, sharp-edged
rock digs a hole better than a trowel. A trowel is shaped wrong for
my weak upper body strength. It doesn't work for me to scoop
underhanded from the side, it works for me to hack overhanded from
above. I worry that a tent stake will bend. Using a rock, it doesn't
matter if it breaks because there are more rocks. Site selection is
key, too. Far away, through some tangled stuff so that nobody will
follow by accident in the future. And find a place where the dirt is
soft enough you can dig with a pine cone if need be.