[pct-l] Entry into Canada

Sean Ansley sdansley at swbell.net
Sun Dec 12 13:54:56 CST 2010

I think permits had more relevance before passports were required to enter
Mexico and Canada on the roads (There is no border station when you enter
Canada via the trail south of Manning Park).  In 2008 I didn't have a
passport, and was asked for my permit and ID when coming back to the states
by U.S. Customs.  I was never asked for my permit or any ID while in Canada,
and I spent a few days there.

I heard of people being denied permits, because of a DWI or other
misdemeanor crimes.  Not sure how it works now, with the passport being
required now.  I would assume that since there is no border station
(approving entrance to Canada), you should apply for the permit (permission)
to enter Canada via the trail.

Flippy