[pct-l] Polar Pure Water Treatment

hetchhetchyman at aol.com hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 21:54:46 CST 2010

I was sitting here thinking about my water treatment options for the AT.
I was reminded of a great old product called Polar Pure. It is a tiny
bottle with Iodine Crystals inside. You mix up a solution. For 16 bucks
the bottle treats 2,000 liters of water.
I wondered what ever happened to polar Pure.. For some reason I thought they
were based in Iceland.. I was dead wrong.
It turns out Polar Pure is made less than 10 miles from my front door in Saratoga California!
I just got off the phone with Bob Wallace, the owner. What a great guy to talk to!
Anyhow, I know the whole water treatment thing is "preloaded" with all kinds of
opinions and issues. There is also some question regarding using iodine products for long periods
of time such as on a thru hike. I can't answer those for you.
I can say that when i last tried Polar Pure it left no after taste what so ever in the water.
This is definitely not the same as those old school iodine tablets.. Bob can explain why much better than I can.
Anyhow I am not trying to sell you on Polar Pure... and at $16 bucks per 2000 liters neither is Bob.
He said: "It lasts so long the only way I sell more than one bottle to the same customer is if they drop the first one!"
It was so refreshing to call a company and actually speak to the owner!
Polar Pure in my own backyard! Who Knew?
-Iceaxe