[pct-l] Fw: Food Dehydrator Tips or Recipes?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 18:31:16 CST 2010

Hey Shroomer, Thanks for your concern. I have been collecting and eating wild
mushrooms since shortly after moving to Mendocino in 1973.
We have a saying up on the North Coast: " There are no old, brave, mushroom
hunters". When we first moved there we talked to a Ranger at Russian Gulch State
Park who told us of a recent incident in the park when an entire Italian family
who were camped in the park died of mushroom poisoning. They thought they were
collecting Coccoras but Death Caps were apparently growing amongst them. The
delicious mushroom soup that they made in the Park was lethal.   I am very
careful when collecting wild mushrooms - and I never collect any Amanitas. There
are several species that I am very familiar with and eat whenever I can find
them. None of these have poisonous look-alikes. I limit my picking to about 15
species.

I would not bring any book on the trail - too heavy and bulky. I only eat what I
am sure of. That includes several greens and, of course, onions for my trout
stew.

MendoRider