[pct-l] A bit of everything

Dennis Osborne mctanker at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 17:03:00 CST 2010

Plan to start on 22 April 2011.  Will get to S.Cal a bit earlier and will pre stage some food for the trip.  Anyone wanting to start with someone, I will be there on about 7:00 AM.

Use SPOT, and have for years (got one of the first ones).  SPOT 1 was a little fickle getting a signal.  Didn't get it for safety, but for keeping my friends and family aware of my location.  Have done Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier etc and had good reception.

Am light but not to light.  Base weight (with Ice Axe and Micro Spikes) is about 15 LBS (add a couple with the bear cannister).  Still working through my sleeping system.  Have the REI Sub Kilo, but may try a Cocoon with down jacket and pants (so far can handle 30, have not tested lower yet.

I am a gear geek to some level, so have lots of stuff.  Prefer hammocks to all sleeping shelters and have a couple, but will not use them for this hike as they are a pain without tree's.

Good luck to one and all for the 2011 season.
Dennis
(Sunshine)