[pct-l] Lone Pine vs Independance resupply

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Mon Dec 6 15:44:47 CST 2010

Oh don't diss on Independence.  It is a great small eastern Sierra town with quaint homes and an awesome eastern Sierra front for backyard views.  Ray's Den motel was named something else in 1977 when I stayed there, so it's been there for decades.  I think the people there are nicer than Lone Pine as they don't see all of the Mt Whitney crowds that Lone Pine does.

See my trail journal on May 19th, 1977 (on trailjournals.com search for "Strider" and choose the 1977 one; the original!!) for my account of coming in and finding that a search and rescue party was out looking for me.

The memories don't fade, they dim but never go away.  I think I can still remember the smell inside of the PO there!!

Greg Hummel

"The trees are calling me near, I've got to find out why.
Those gentle voices I hear explain it all in a sigh"
                                                                      Moody Blues