[pct-l] Snow Course 1/7/11 closed; snow mileage planning

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Dec 6 14:30:51 CST 2010

If anyone is interested in inexpensive snow skills training intended for thru hikers, looked over the Mountain Education schedule and was considering the January 7th date, it is full to the brim with students. There are eight other dates this season, so send us an email if you are interested....

We just received another foot of snow bringing the total this season so far to nearly eight feet at 10,000 feet (top of Heavenly Ski Resort). We have current pictures of Lake Tahoe and Heavenly over at the Mountain Education Facebook page, if you want to look at the albums there. At the same site are pictures of what the PCT looked like during our filming expedition along the trail during the months of May and June from KM to the Muir Trail Ranch, so take a look at them to assist your decisions regarding daily mileages for the days you will be there this next hiking season.

When you are planning your daily mileage through the Sierra for the months of May and June, keep in mind that there will probably be lots of snow above 9 or 10,000 feet, so drop the miles to a realistic expectation so you don't get exhausted. Test yourself soon to see what it really takes to do 10 or 20 miles in trail runners in snow all day. If you don't have snow near to where you live to find this out, drop your mileage expectations through this area (from KM to TM, if we have a big winter).

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd