[pct-l] sleeping bag - rei sub kilo

Lisa Freathy rainorshinecamper at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 23:37:34 CST 2010

Hi Steel- Eye,

I recently switched to packing my down bag loose, however I was concerned about
it getting wet so I put it in a garbage bag. It didn't seem to fill in all of
the voids/free space in the pack as I had hoped, I think do to still
being restricted to the plastic bag. Do you line the entire inside of your pack
w/a garbage bag encompassing all gear and your loose sleeping bag, or do you
proctect your bag from moisture in any fashion?

Lisa

"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb
a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
~ John Muir

From: CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net

I don’t ever stuff – and certainly not compress – my down sleeping bags.  Such
treatment is damaging to the down, although not quite so much as Jardine
writes.  By only poking it into the pack it is free to occupy all available
space, even many nooks and crannies.  Not only is packing more efficient,
but by its being loose I’m encouraged to drag it out at some sunny break
spot for a good airing.  If I had laboriously stuffed/compressed the thing I
probably wouldn’t bother to air it out nearly as much.

Steel-Eye