[pct-l] Make Your Own Gear...Brilliant JMT Reinhold idea

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Dec 2 08:08:09 CST 2010

Snow Bunny Hula Boy Reinhold writes: For my JMT speed hikes, in quest of getting as UL as possible, I made my own tent & pack which are lighter than anything on the market and are my favorite gear for the kind of of hike they were designed for.  Most thru-hikers make their own alcohol stoves now-a-days.
Also, a few years ago, I attempted to make the absolutely, positively lightest sleeping bag ever made out of plastic bubble wrap.  The concept appeared to be another ''brilliant JMT Reinhold idea''....air trapped in plastic bubbles for insulation at the absolute minimal weight and retaining it's insulation even when wet.  It seemed to work OK in San Diego in the summer, but not so good in the Sierra.
To make a long story short, I almost froze to death.
Switchback replies:  Just get a Western Mountaineering bag without a hood.  They are outstanding.  I plan to use down sleeves and a down cap for the 2011 campaign for the most versatility.  What is great about this new system is that with a light weight down vest, you have an excellent down jacket under a rain jacket.  Sweet.  When it gets really cold, you are warm on the trail or off.  Never a problem.

The down sleeves and hood can be found at JacksRBetter.  They make hammock camping gear.  This idea will be the new rage in the backpacking world in 2011.  Once again, Switchback, comes through for backpackersdom.