[pct-l] cougar sightings north of Santiam Pass

John Licata licatas at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 13:06:15 CDT 2010

At the Hoh Rain Forest a couple of weeks ago the Ranger gave a talk and
discussed a cougar interaction he had.  Some park visitors had been watching
some deer when a lion took one of them down.  The Ranger showed up and
proceeded to take the visitors off trail around the deer, which the cougar
dragged into some brush.  The cougar saw the people and while they were
moving in a wide circle, around and back to the trail the cougar moved into
a position between them and its recent kill and took a seat.  It could have
appeared that the cougar was stalking, but in reality it was simply
protecting its dinner.  People left, cougar ate, all was fine.

Just some added data to the conversation...

John