[pct-l] cougar sightings north of Santiam Pass

MAXINE WEYANT weyantm at msn.com
Fri Aug 27 12:09:16 CDT 2010

I agree that it's a rare treat to see a cougar and normally they are not threatening to humans, but if this is the SAME cougar seen ON THE TRAIL by several hikers then that would appear to be an abberration.  And, if that cougar is engaging in stalking and other confrontational behaviors with humans (which is what I'd heard from more than one source, and why I'd asked hikers to send in their accounts) then something isn't right.  I was assuming it had been displaced by the fire, or had been separated from it's cubs or usual food sources, but perhaps it's sick. If there is a pattern with one cougar in that area, it'd be wise to warn hikers not to hike alone especially at dawn or dusk in that region.

Dys-feng shui-nal