[pct-l] Weather considerations anytime/ a must read

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Sat Aug 21 13:45:59 CDT 2010

Yeah!

When I was in scouts I carried a plastic poncho, weighed over a pound. When
I could afford it, I bought a Goretex jacket, triple layer, lots of zippers,
weighed over 2 pounds. Now I carry a Red Ledge breathable rain jacket, cut
just to the waist, weighs 10 ounces, still has pit zips etc but much more
comfortable while pounding out sweat. To that I carry either chaps or a rain
skirt, depending on expectations.

My down "Backpacker" sleeping bag from REI, 20 degree rating, weighs almost
6 pounds! I now carry a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32, 20 ounces, that feels
warmer, and if it gets a little cold I put on my 12 ounce Western
Mountaineering Flight jacket (12 ounces because I'm bigger than most).

The most incredible weight savings to me is water bottles. Nalgenes weigh 4
ounces I think, empty Gatorade bottles 1 ounce. I used to carry FOUR
Nalgenes, now I carry 2 Gatorade bottles and a 3-liter Platy. So, from 16
ounces down to 3. And, when the Nalgenes got too gross I'd spend 8 bucks for
a new one, now I spend a buck and get a tasty beverage as a bonus.

I don't think I'm less prepared even though my base weight is 11 pounds
instead of 34. Oh, I do carry a 2-meter radio in my base weight, that's
about a pound, for all those times cell phones don't work and I want to call
for a helicopter ride out. (just kidding!!!)

BUT, UL is having lightweight gear, not just leaving gear behind. I've seen
people (not usually thrus) leave tents/tarps behind, carry only a quart of
water in the desert, not have a rain jacket, etc.

AsABat