[pct-l] Weather considerations anytime/ a must read

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Aug 21 12:26:19 CDT 2010

I just want to clear up something Ned keeps saying. Just because your
gear is light does not mean it is inadequate, less warm, less safe,
less functional or less comfortable. There are so many light fabrics
these days you can get light gear that is warm, strong and weighs a
lot less but does the same job as other gear that weighs more.

I've got a one-man tent from the 70s that's prone to condensation, is
claustrophobic, the plastic tent pegs shattered long ago, and it
weighs a ton. It's not better than the Gossamer Gear One I currently
have. My One is light, spacious, does not force me to touch the
walls, doesn't seem prone to condensation and is simply a much better
tent than that old heavy thing.

My current 1lb sleeping bag uses high quality down and light fabrics
and is the warmest bag I have ever used, even warmer than the 3lb
down zero-degree beast I have in the closet.

My silnylon chaps are much better than any rain pants I've worn, more
breathable, less sweaty (although still sweaty) and much lighter.
They are as functional as heavier rain pants with the only exception
being there's no butt so you can't sit down. I just keep walking.

I've rarely had an issue with my aluminum can stove. No moving parts
to break, no specialized fuel canisters. Break my stove and buy a new
one at any convenience store. Comes with a free drink.

Plastic water bottles are lighter than nalgenes, just as durable and
cost less. Come with free drinks, too.

Light does not mean anything other than light. Don't believe people
who say light gear is inadequate, cold, uncomfortable or expensive.
It is simply made of newer materials. People who criticize
lightweight hiking are confusing people who carry light gear with
people who carry no gear at all. It is not the same thing.

If you like carrying 95 lbs on your back that is your decision. But
you are not necessarily safer, warmer or more comfortable than
someone with less weight. When I fall down I'd rather have a guitar
on my back than a piano.