[pct-l] What do others do to get/stay in shape

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Tue Aug 17 23:51:30 CDT 2010

Generally I hike short hikes frequently so have some basic fitness.

Then in preparation for overnighters, hike with my pack weighted to about
maximum estimated trail weight. For me now that is 25 - 30 pounds including
food and water.

Last year I attended an event near Donner Pass before my section hike so on
1 day I wore my fully loaded pack for a hike up a nearby mountain top.

Even so I was somewhat out of shape starting the trail. I allowed for that.
And each day on the trail I was able to increase my mileage. My longest day
was 15 miles -- not really thru-hiker distance but adequate for me.

Tortoise

<> Because truth matters! <>