[pct-l] Oregon Sections E & F

Nikii Murtaugh boundforadventure at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 23:26:33 CDT 2010

Flash and I just completed a section hike of Willamette Pass to Santiam Pass
in Oregon.  Our notes are below:

Mosquitoes were plentiful at the smaller lakes (Rosary, Charlton, Bobby,
Irish & Taylor, Mirror), but non-existent at Elk Lake and Lava Lake.

The burn area  (1932) south of Irish Lake looks a lot greener than two years
ago.  Lots of green plants including fireweed in bloom.  Small evergreen
trees are taking root.  The forest service has been busy erecting new signs
for THEIR trails.  On a few signs someone used a marker to indicate the
PCT.

The cut-off to Cliff Lake (1949) is not marked, and we missed it.

There is a creek that was flowing quite well at Reserve Meadow (1951.2).
The campsite at the east end is quite large, and someone has sawed logs into
chair heights.  The creek is about 25' from the campsite.

Mosquitoes were plentiful on the PCT between Dumbbell Lake (1952.4) to the
cut-off for Elk Lake Resort.  It was the only time we were in headnets.  We
also saw the PCT Windigo Trail Crew putting in water bars.

Elk Lake Resort has a hiker box.  It is a large blue Rubbermaid container in
the room with the resupply boxes.  However, they do not have a HIker Log.
Jay said that it was destroyed last year, and has not been replaced.  We
stayed in a camper cabin - $49/night plus tax.  This is the PCT discount.
Regular price is $58.  On the main floor is a set of bunk beds and a double
bed.  There is also a loft with a ladder.  Showers are free for registered
campers.  Laundry is $2 to wash and $2 to dry.  If you use the washing
machine on the right (loose lid), you need to put a heavy object on top of
the lid in order for the washing machine to go through its cycle.

Okie Girl is at Lava Lake Campground (1988).  Currently she is across the
road from  the pit toilets.  She has a nice set-up and was very helpful.
Camping is free, and each site includes a picnic table and fire pit with
grill top.  Burnable wood is plentiful along the road toward Hwy. 242.

On Friday (8/13) we ate supper at the Big Lake Youth Campground.  They are
back on regular Pacific Daylight Savings Time.  Supper (6:30 PM)  was $6
AYCE.  I don't know if this is the regular Friday fare or not, but we had
bread bowls and a choice of potato or vegetable soup, crackers, cheese,
carrots, and grapes.  Dessert was a to-die-for cheesecake mousse parfait
with fresh local berries.  Laundry is free (we will be sending a donation),
and showers are at 7:30 PM while the campers are at vespers.  Showers are
also free.  The staff directed us to camping at the cove, which is south of
the campground along the lake.  Since the current campers were going to be
going home today (8/14), we decided to camp in the woods, approximately 1/4
mile past their security station.  There is a hiker box at the office, and
another near the laundry room.

Huckleberries - The plants are plentiful up and down the PCT in Oregon.
However, only from Coldwater Spring (1999.5) NB to Santiam Pass, did we see
any berries or flowers on the bushes.  The berries were not ripe.

There are trail angels who provide sodas and water on both sides of Santiam
Pass (Hwy. 20).  Our thanks again to Lloyd Gust for providing transportation
to Willamette Pass.  I certainly hope he has a few cherubs-in-training.

Clippers