[pct-l] PCT Completion

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Aug 14 11:06:35 CDT 2010

Good morning, all,

I am very pleased to announce that I completed my section hike of the entire
PCT at approximately 07:30A, 10 August 2010, when I reached the
California/Oregon border northbound.  This completed two portions of the
trail that had eluded me: the two fire closures from the ’08 season – one in
the vicinity of Quincy and Chester, and the other between Etna Summit and
the Oregon border.

The kindness of Piper’s Mom significantly facilitated my hike of the
Quincy/Chester section, both at the beginning and the end.

With me at the Cal/Or finish line was So-Jo (Sojourner) with whom I had
hiked since Etna Summit, and who’s thoughtful and considerate nature I came
to greatly appreciate.  After the obligatory Yee-Haahs were spouted and the
photos were snapped I backtracked to Seiad Valley to catch the bus, while
So-Jo continued her NoBo journey.

This adventure began in 1965 when, during a 20-mile hike of a section of the
old Oregon Skyline Trail (OST) north of Crater Lake, I decided to –
eventually -- hike its entire length.  Subsequently, the OST was officially
absorbed into the PCT so I expanded the scope of my aspirations accordingly.
I have now hiked every mile of the official PCT at least once.  A few
sections I’ve hiked only once; some major sections I’ve hiked 2-3 times;
some shorter sections nearer to home I’ve hiked literally hundreds of times.

The scenery of the PCT is significant, but available: I can view my photos,
I can watch the “Class-of” DVDs, I can watch travelogues, and I can even
revisit features or sections if I wish.  What is ephemeral and can’t ever be
recaptured is the camaraderie of the fellow hikers that I encountered; the
amazing support of Trail Angels; and the help of considerate citizens whom I
didn’t know – and will likely never meet again.  That I can't relive or
revisit.  I can’t begin to repay them for the benefits I’ve received -- I
can only pass on the goodwill to hikers who follow after.

“Life is just a collection of memories, and memories are like starlight –
they go on forever.”

Lyrics by John Denver

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye