[pct-l] Section O drying out

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Thu Aug 12 09:03:14 CDT 2010

> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:30:37 -0700
> From: AsABat <asabat at 4jeffrey.net>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Section O drying out
> To: Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes <diane at santabarbarahikes.com>
> Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> "Also, thru-hikers can
> walk 25 miles on 2 quarts of water and so if toward the end of the
> day they pull into a source and can fill up the bottles again, they
> will be of the opinion that there was plenty of water."
>
> Really? 25 miles on the Hat Creek Rim in July at 100+degrees with 2
> quarts?
>
> I just want to warn hikers that, as you said, know your body, as YMMV. I
> would drink 5 quarts in 25 miles and still be dehydrated in those
> conditions.
>
> AsABat
>

> ------------------------------
> > Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:24:10 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dale Combs <comebackwalking at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> That is the conclusion of my Section O trip report with myself being the
> fool.
> I carry four quart bottles. Watered up before camping, had one qt for
> dinner and one for breakfast. Two quarts only lasted until noon and it was
> ninety some degrees with a?lot of sun. In 2009 I got a lot better at
> finding water. I learned some tricks. But I looked all over and couldn't
> find water on Section O in mid-July. I?felt forced?to turn around early.
> I guess it goes with the territory. Once or twice a summer the streams,
> springs and seeps fail you. Or you fail them. The temperature was 116 on
> the drive home.
> Or is everyone else more competent, do they have water whenever they want,
> 100% of the time? Or are they only 98% like me, have to suck it up, and
> mutter some deal with the angels so it never happens again?
> ?
> Comfy

Gents - From your postings, it sounds like we're more or less on the same
page. 25 miles on 2 liters, on a 90+degree day, in the sun, midday, and 2000
ft of climbing...   seems a bit of a stretch to me - I think as others have
posted here before - 1 liter per 4 or 5 miles is probably closer to the
truth. [also noting that this was first day out, ie, heavy pack, ie, full
load of food etc (7 days: 6 to walk, 1 extra in case)]. But beyond that -
the purpose of my post was to heads up other section hikers. I knew of at
least 3 other parties which were section'ng O at the same time as myself
(+/- 2 or 3 days)...  and if they has been expecting what the map said, and
had read UncleTom's trail log [the previous week had found copious water at
"Corkscrew Spg" [Screwdriver Crk], and had maybe also had communications
with others that had quite recently passed through the area)...  I was
hoping to maybe save them some grief. As far as thru hikers - at mile 1500,
they're in cruising mode/lean mean hiking machines, and as one recent thru
did, covered O in 2 days...  I wasn't concerned about them. ie, my post was
an attempt to be a "good sam" to others. Also why the post of the exit route
+ topo for others that might need an alternative escape route.

As far as comments w/re being conservative in water reports, or superior
water finding skills, or willing to drink what other wouldn't...  I'll
politely say: off the mark and leave it there.

put one foot ahead of the other, repeat until done,
TheDuck