[pct-l] Section O drying out

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Aug 11 22:43:58 CDT 2010

Thru-hikers, especially those you will meet at this time of year who
have more than 1000 and almost 2000 miles on their feet, can hike a
lot farther on less water than the average hiker. So when they say 2
quarts are enough, or that there was enough water on the trail,
consider whether you are as acclimatized and in as good condition as
they are. Someone who can hike 25 miles in a day is going to think
there's more water on the trail than someone who can only hike 12
miles in a day. By the time I got to Nor Cal I could hike 20 miles by
2 PM so 20 miles between water sources meant I only had to get
through lunch.

Same goes for people who are regular hikers or who are local to the
area. I can hike 18 miles in 95 degree temps on 3 liters, but I live
in So Cal where this is normal. If you live in the PNW or the East
Coast you might not be able to do this so easily.

Whenever you ask another person about trail conditions, be specific.
"How was the water, was there enough?" is not specific. "Was there
water at X Creek? Was there water at Y Creek?" is specific.

Diane