[pct-l] White Pass to Snoqualmie Pass in Late September

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Aug 10 13:42:34 CDT 2010

The PNW folks should chime in on this one, but from my experiences on the
pct and cdt, storms that dump snow that stays around thereafter (because of
trending colder daytime temps) can come in anytime after the middle of
September. Typically down here in the Sierra, we get a storm or two late
season, but the daytime temps usually warm thereafter and it melts off. Come
late September, October, and November the temperatures begin to fall and
whatever snow falls then usually stays around longer, meaning you'll have to
slog through it (gaitors, w/p shells, fleece pants, etc.) or snowshoe over
it.

If you are prepared for snow, have the requisite gear and clothing, and know
how to ride out the aftermath of a storm (avalanche safety), you should do
fine, but be slow-going. Travelling with horses under such possibilities
could turn out bad for both of you. That is the chance you take when hiking
late season, which many thrus will be doing this year!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150