[pct-l] iphone vs droid for thru-hike

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Aug 9 15:54:59 CDT 2010

On Aug 9, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> a few thru hike questions:
>
> iPHONE VS DROID
>
> VERIZON VS AT&T
>
> I plan on taking one of these smartphones for my 2011 thru hike for
> maps, journaling, communication, camera, entertainment, etc. ?thank
> you in advance for all thoughts, comments, and advice. ?happy trails
>
> Mikey Jurado

My advice is to leave them both home and bring a phone that is only a
phone and nothing more. Do yourself a favor and disconnect. Have a
completely unmitigated experience of the trail and trail culture and
trail magic and serendipity. Go with the flow. xperience all of it in
the raw without the safety net of a computer screen.

I know everyone will have a ton of reasons why that is a stupid
suggestion ranging from the ease of use of having one device that
does it all to any number of other conveniences and preferences.
Don't tell them to me. I'm offering up my own experience as a
suggestion. Do what YOU think is right.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time