[pct-l] First PCT Thru-Triker

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Aug 8 00:57:01 CDT 2010

AsABat writes: Don't forget your guidebook, the "Pacific Crest Bicycle Trail" by Bil Paul (yes, only that's spelled correct). Amazon has them from $99, so even though out of print for 20 years it must still be popular. Yes I have a copy, no Switchback you can't have it.  Unlike the hikes of my good friend Switchback, who at his advanced age hikes only in his dreams, I did just return from a real, live, fully supported hike of Section P from Castle Crags to Etna. I was met each night by a beautiful woman in a camper van who gave me a hot meal and cold drinks, offered me a hot shower, and shared a soft bed with me. What a way to hike. And yes, AsABat does have the most wonderful wife in the world.
Switchback replies: Well, congratulations on your hike.  Well done by both you and your better half.  Yes, there are many who make fun of us senior combat veterans and our now limited trail abilities. Age and war injuries have finally taken their toll.  But in spite of the hazing and harassment, we labor on in good cheer.  We remember that there would be no trail or country without our sacrifices.

Say, I wonder if anyone is buying this and feels sorry for me.  Heh, heh, heh.