[pct-l] First PCT Thru-Triker

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Sat Aug 7 20:28:45 CDT 2010

Don't forget your guidebook, the "Pacific Crest Bicycle Trail" by Bil Paul
(yes, only that's spelled correct). Amazon has them from $99, so even though
out of print for 20 years it must still be popular. Yes I have a copy, no
Switchback you can't have it.

Unlike the hikes of my good friend Switchback, who at his advanced age hikes
only in his dreams, I did just return from a real, live, fully supported
hike of Section P from Castle Crags to Etna. I was met each night by a
beautiful woman in a camper van who gave me a hot meal and cold drinks,
offered me a hot shower, and shared a soft bed with me. What a way to hike.
And yes, AsABat does have the most wonderful wife in the world.

The trail was clear, two tiny snow crossings hardly worth mentioning except
they were there, and less than a dozen blowdowns easy to go over or
around. We met John Lyons, trail maintainer extraordinaire, at
Scott Mountain summit. Thanks John & Lyons Pride!

Water was reasonably available. Do check the maps before passing a
water source, there are a few dry exposed climbs. Sources called permanent
in the book, or shown on the map with a solid blue line, had water of
course. A few seasonal sources were dry or just mud, but reliable water was
available every 2 or 3 hours.

AsABat