[pct-l] Using the Ursack without the aluminum

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 16:52:41 CDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Matt Thyer <matt_thyer at hotmail.com> wrote:

> A DM can point to a list of "approved" canisters but can't tell anyone why that list is approved and why another list is not.

The make or break criterion is - are they successful in the field or not?

A version of the Ursack (without the metal liner) was approved for the
2006 hiking season.  There were too many successful bear intrusions,
according to the regulators, so they were unapproved. Another version
(stronger material, metal liner) was approved for the 2007 hiking
season.  Again, too many successful intrusions, so unapproved.
Followed this pretty closely, as a proud owner of both the 2006 and
2007 versions.  I seem to remember Ursack characterizing the failures
as 'user error', but the bottom line is that the bears got in.

Anything that starts failing in the field will lose approval, there's
certainly nothing permanent about approval for the other vendors.
Bearvault has had to make changes to their products when bears started
getting in.

Whatsa DM?