[pct-l] Closed areas and shelter choice

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Apr 22 16:13:48 CDT 2010

On Apr 22, 2010, at 1:15 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> 2)  What is the preferred shelter used by most PCT hikers?  I am
> trying to
> overcome my claustrophobia and plan on using a small bivy sack to
> save 2 lbs
> over my Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight tent.  Advice?

Before I ever tried a bivy I thought it would be claustrophobic, but
it isn't. It's more like an extra blanket. It feels like nothing at
all. Probably the best thing about it is if the moon is bright I can
pull it over my eyes. If you use a poncho for a shelter, you don't
even need the bivy unless it rains. You don't even need the poncho,
but sometimes it's nice to use one or the other to keep the dew off.

Diane

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic