[pct-l] Closed areas and shelter choice

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 15:25:59 CDT 2010

High,

As far as shelter goes, I did a poll about it - and lots of other questions.
You can see the results here:

http://planyourhike.com/polls/

The poll about shelter is at the bottom of the page.

Most people (62%) use light tents.  33% use tarps.  0 out of 110 thruhikers
polled used a bivy (but I know *some* people use them.  They are few and far
between).  2% use a hammock (probably people who picked up the habit on the
AT).  4% said "other", and I wonder what they used.

But hey, just because few people use a bivy doesn't mean you shouldn't use
one.  Hike your own hike, have fun, and decide for yourself.

Hope it helps,

Austin
PlanYourHike.com