[pct-l] Using the Ursack without the aluminum

lee staley leestcoast at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 14:20:48 CDT 2010

On 4/22/10 11:10 AM, Matt Thyer wrote:
> I'm more interested in understanding if anyone has experience using the
> ursack in the fashion I've mentioned.  Kevlar is a lot harder to rip or tear
> than most ballistic plastics (think Bear Vault) and the fibers are designed
> to separate around, in this case, teeth, and then heal.  That aluminum isn't
> going to stop a bear who's gotten ahold of the sac any better than plastics
> and food will probably be crushed anyway, but if someone has seen this or
> used the sac in this way I'd appreciate their feedback.

My son has, on occasion, used an Ursack without the aluminum insert, but
with an OP sack, in the Emigrant and other non-SEKI areas without
incident.  Actually, we used Ursack Hybrids, with OP Sacks, throughout
the Sierra back when they had provisional approval without any kind of
animal intrusion.  You just have to secure them well away (50 - 100 yds
if possible) from any campsite (where bears or rodents will be looking
for hiker food opportunities).

Cruz Control