[pct-l] Using the Ursack without the aluminum

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Thu Apr 22 12:19:54 CDT 2010

Matt Thyer wrote:
> Has anyone tried this?  The aluminum sheet that comes with the Ursack weighs
> just a bit over 13 ounces.  The bag, which is made of Kevlar, only comes in
> at about 9 ounces and this seems to me to be the active ingredient in the
> mix.  If the bag's efficacy isn't compromised, leaving nearly a pound of
> metal behind would make me a happy trekker.

The Ursack is not approved for use in the Sierra. You will need to carry
an approved bear canister on that portion of the trail. That being the
case, you can use the Ursack any way you want to on other parts of the
trail.

The problem with the Ursack without the aluminum sleeve is that a bear
can easily grab the bag in its teeth. If it works on it long enough, it
can eventually tear the bag.