[pct-l] Angels have landed (was trail angels need trail angels too!)

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Apr 20 12:25:55 CDT 2010

I want to share the unbelievable experience I had last weekend with some
giving-back trail magic here at Hiker Heaven.  I am stunned and filled with
appreciation and emotion.  I've seen the calls from my fellow angels needing
help, and would go help them myself if I could. However, with my lower back
out (slowly getting better) a torn labrum in my left hip (needing surgery
the insurance company has denied), and Mr. Mumbles (aka Buzzsaw) up to his
eyeballs in work and school projects, the tasks required to get ready for
hiker season right here at home were daunting, especially all the lifting
and bending. But I didn't want to take any volunteers away from my dear
counterparts along the trail, so I just kind of sucked it up and hoped and
trusted it would all work somehow. I was repaid for that faith in a major
way.

I got a message from Sarah "Color Blind" McClure, who was going to be in the
general area working, asking if she could come and help out.  What I didn't
know initially was that Color Blind was working with the Northwest Service
Academy, doing trail crew leadership training with our very dear PCTA
regional representative and her assistant reps. This is an example of one of
the incredible partnerships that the PCTA has built; they train crew leaders
for other programs, and in turn these crews lead projects on the PCT before
they return to their assignments. PCTA does the same training for a number
of service academys, like Americorp, SCA, CCC, etc.

Color Blind called and said she had four days off between trail crew
"hitches," meaning a few precious days off from tough physical labor. She
asked if she could come over last Friday, and if it was okay to bring one
other member of her crew along. She brought FIVE, for a total of SIX
volunteers.  But not just any volunteers.  These young people were
incredibly strapping, healthy, energetic, and dedicated to service. They've
been up swinging pick-axes and doing rock work on the trail at altitude, and
they are SO FIT.

Now, mind you, this was supposed to be their time off -- frolicking
somewhere having well-deserved fun. Instead, they moved the boxes, the
tents, dusted off months worth of dirt and spiders, refurbished and cleaned
bear cans, repaired bicycles, cleaned the fire ring, washed the chairs, and
most importantly, hung the "Welcome to Agua Dulce PCT Hikers" banner down in
town.  What they did would have taken me weeks to accomplish when I'm
physically 100%, but given that right now I have some limitations, what they
turned out was pretty much impossible for me. I was worried about getting it
done in time for the tsunami. While there is still much of a lighter nature
to do, the heavy lifting is done.

I don't know how the trail keeps producing this wonderful magic, providing
exactly what you need in your time of need. But I do know that there is so
much goodness and love attached to this trail, and from this community of
people. On a side note, one (Color Blind) is a two-time PCT thru-hike
veteran, another is an AT veteran, and four are PCT hopefuls. They are very
dedicated to giving back, or paying forward.  Not one of my "angels" is the
sort that was seeking recognition, but I want to tell you who they are and
how much I admire what they're doing through their service academy:

Sarah "Color Blind" McClure, East Lansing, Michigan (PCT '08, '09)
Joe "Geoff" Naiman, Tallahassee, Florida (AT '08)
Annie Woods, Burlington, Kentucky
Kate Clabby, Lander, Wyoming
Steve Wilkinson, Bellingham, Washington
Ian MacKay, Corvallis, Oregon

www.nwserviceacademy.org

When they drove away on Saturday morning, off to the coast for some real and
overdue R & R, I was overcome with not only appreciation, but with the sense
that good will prevail through individual stewardship and action. When you
walk the trail, know that wonderful people like these took part in making
your experience a better one.

L-Rod