[pct-l] Washing Clothes on the Trail

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Apr 18 19:24:38 CDT 2010

FYI you don't need an 11 ounce solar shower. I carried a Pocket
Shower, which was just a dry bag with a shower nozzle on it. I used
it as a stuff sack for my sleeping bag most of the time. I only used
it once when I took a shower in the center of town in Government
Camp. I only washed my hair, though.

Anyway, you can go light and carry a shower if you want these days.
Diane

On Apr 17, 2010, at 9:24 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hey Brian - you mean you would actually prefer being stinky and be
> willing to give up being able to take a hot shower on the trail and
> the convenience of gravity-fed warm running water from a spigot
> right at your campsite - rather than carry just 11 ounces ? ? ?
> Hikers are sure getting soft about carrying extra ounces these
> days. During the 50's and 60's, long before I discovered horses, I
> backpacked about 2500 Sierra miles, sometimes carrying as much as
> 60 pounds. In those earlier times Sierra hikers had to be stronger
> and braver to be able to fight off the Saber Toothed Tigers and
> Short-Faced Bears that roamed the wilderness. And I hadn't yet
> learned about bear charms.? Reinhold and Switchback know about
> that, having survived thier epic adventures of the 60's. Then with
> the 70's there came a guy named Eric Ryback - who carried as much
> as 70 pounds and did'nt resupply very often.
> MendoRider

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic