[pct-l] Snow in Southern California

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Thu Apr 15 11:17:29 CDT 2010

I've received a few reports that I added to the water reports. In brief, in
the last week snow and ice has turned hikers around near Apache Peak and
they've detoured by Hwy 240 and Black Mountain Road. Several have reported
near-death experiences, some were prepared and some were clever or just
lucky. Apparently others have gotten through with crampons and ice axes but
I haven't heard from them.

Snow is most likely still an issue in the upper reaches of Mission Creek,
and certainly in the Big Bear area, where another hiker also backtracked
out, but this is probably less a problem than San Jacinto.

Nothing has been received from Section D other than PCTA still waiting for
snow to melt more to work out the detour around the fire closures.

AsABat
PCT Water Reports So Cal http://pct.4jeffrey.net
Updates to water at 4jeffrey.net