[pct-l] Mailing Fuel Canisters

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Apr 13 16:06:52 CDT 2010

It really is a good idea to be aware of the regulations you might
need to take advantage of at the post office. Last year I went to the
post office in Government Camp to forward my priority mail box to
Cascade Locks. I wanted to take advantage of the free forwarding they
offer for priority mail. The man in the post office said that I
couldn't take advantage of this service. It wasn't intended for
people traveling through for their convenience, it was only intended
for people who were moving. I tried to reason with him to no avail. I
then asked if the regulations in Oregon were different. After more
arguing, I started to get the feeling that maybe regulations were
only different for Californians in Oregon since I was frequently the
recipient of the special California treatment while I was in Oregon.
Anyway, he finally said he would do it for me, but it was against the
regs and the post office can't afford it because it's losing money
yadda yadda. I hesitated as I was leaving thinking maybe I should
just insist on paying for it because I now worried I'd never see my
package again.

Anyway, when I got to Cascade Locks my package was waiting with a
note taped on it apologizing and telling me that I was correct about
the regulations. I was surprised.

You might not just need to know the regs for hazardous things, but
for simple things, too.