[pct-l] Asolo boots

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Apr 12 09:54:27 CDT 2010

Good morning, Crystal,

Ankle support is a very over-sold attribute in trail hiking footwear. While
higher-top boots may be good for cross-country hiking, the PCT has a
substantially flat tread surface, and surface irregularities – such as rocks
and ruts -- can be readily dodged.  Running shoes are lighter, cooler, less
expensive, and require much less “break-in” compared to boots; even the
sneaker-cousin fabric boots.

Depending upon one’s condition, most hikers experience sore ankles early in
a hike; that’s until the joint bones adapt to the increase in load and
miles.  As the trail miles accumulate the point at which the ankles become
sore for the day extends from 5 miles, to 10, to 15, then eventually to
disappears.

If I were you I’d have greater concern about the total weight of your load.
The resupply segments in the desert are usually less than 5 days, which
means you would need 10 lbs. of food maximum -- and early in the hike it
could be only 6-7 lbs.  Food might average 4 lbs.  You may carry 12 lbs. of
water at times in those sections, but the water average would only be 6 lbs.
Assuming the worst, your 45 lb. pack minus the full 22 lbs. of consumables
leaves 23 lbs. of gear, but it’s probably more than that.  That weight of
gear, i.e. “base weight” really should get down to the 12-15 lb. range,
while many of us carry only around 8 lbs.  It’s amazing how much more
enjoyable the trail will be if you carry 35%-40% less weight.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09